|County Records Page 1 of 3.
The finding aids are arranged in alphabetical order by office of creation. If there is a completed finding aid for the office, the link occurs at the office name. Many offices do not have finding aids. A complete list of county offices and departments with records in the Harris County Archives here. Please contact the archivists with questions about the records.
Assessor and Collector of Taxes (CR01)
- Assessment (1895 - 1997) – Assessors Abstracts, 1895 – 1914, Block Books 1915 – 1997 (includes Block Book Maps), Building and Land Assessment Cards ca. 1930 – 1980, Insurance Maps (Sanborn) 1925 – 1938.
- Tax Collector (1873 - 1992) For a complete listing of all hard copy tax records in the archives.
- Records on Microfilm (1858 – 1996) - The over 12,000 rolls of film include the following series: Block Books and Maps, 1928 – 1991, Delinquent Tax Returns 1919 – 1996, Tax Rolls and Inventories 1858 – 1983 includes real and personal property, minerals, banks, railroads, mobile homes. Please contact the archives for specific information.
- Voting Records – Poll Tax and Voters Registration Lists (1931 - 1998). Election Maps (1943 - 2010) 156 maps, Voting Precinct Street Guides (1951 - 2007) 6 cu. ft., Microfiche voter registration records (1975 - 2001), Primary Sample Ballott (1978), Voter Statistics (1967 - 1977).
Bayland Orphan Home (CR30)
The entire collection is available online at https://www.fold3.com/page/2552_bayland_orphan_home_18671948#description. Please note the collection is partially indexed, so use the browse function to view the records.
- Minutes, financial and legal records, correspondence and printed materials located in nine bound volumes document the activities and functions of the Board of Trustees of the Bayland Orphan Home from 1867 to 1948. The records were microfilmed in June 2007 and a copy placed at the Clayton Library, Houston, Texas, for public access. It should be noted that a significant number of records have been lost and that all of the volumes may not have been accessible to the public until the present. Therefore, secondary sources concerning the history of the home should be treated accordingly.
Community Development (CR29)
- Directors’ and managers’ records, correspondence, memos, reports, budgets, policy and procedure manuals, personnel files, minutes, program records, photographs, and case files document the functions of Harris County Community Development and Harris County Housing Authority from 1977 to 1998.
County Attorney (CR44)
- Addicks-Fairbanks Road Sand Company Case Files
Legal documents, pollution control inspection documents, correspondence, notes, and photographs (1981-1994) document the numerous environmental and health violations committed by the Addicks-Fairbanks Road Sand Company and the litigation that followed.
- Allwaste Case Files
Pollution control inspection documents, correspondence, legal documents, printed materials, notes, and photographs (1970 – 1992) document the investigation of the Allwaste facility, the ensuing litigation and appeals, and the creation of an environmental conference for the tank cleaning industry.
- Brio Superfund Site Case Files
Correspondence, notes, an agenda, legal documents, reports, speeches, printed materials, photographs, and a VHS cassette tape 1971 to 1994 document the interest of the Harris County Attorney's Office in the Brio Superfund site and the related litigation.
- Durwood Greene Case Files
Bids and construction specifications, legal documents, correspondence, and photographs (1982-1987) document the deceptive trade policies of Durwood Greene construction and G & S Asphalt, and the ensuing litigation. VHS Video tapes relating to this case are also available.
- Michael J. Grabowski Case Files
Correspondence, legal documents, notes, and audio tapes from 1981 to 2002 document Michael J. Grabowski’s employment as a constable for Precinct 4, his ultimate termination, and the ensuing litigation.
- Weibel Landfill Case Files
Legal documents, correspondence, notes, printed materials, maps, and photographs (1984-1993) document the investigation of the Weibel landfill, the ensuing litigation, and the restoration of the site to a wetlands area. VHS video tapes relating to this case are also available.
District Attorney (CR055)
- One hundred forty-four scrapbooks (1971 – 1998), grand jury dockets and photographs, personnel files (ca. 1971- 1973), pastel drawings of the Garth Bates investigation, photographs of office events, and newsletters. Of particular interest is the weekly inner office newsletter (1972 – 1975), established by District Attorney Carol Vance, containing biographical sketches, continuing legal education, reports, and lists of court cases with their outcomes.
Facilities and Property Management (CR02)
- Harris County Court House Plans, 1922
Forty architectural drawings on linen record the competition winning designs of Lang and Witchell Architects of Dallas, Texas, for the Harris County Court House. Originally comprised of 43 sheets of drawings (3 are missing), the drawings include floor plans, exterior elevations, plumbing and heating plans, and architectural details. The existent drawings were copied by D. B. McElroy and R. A. Kinnear of Rice University on waxed linen in 1922 from the original plans that had been severely damaged by mold and insects.
Harris County Archives (CR06)
Harris County Parks Development Photograph Collection (1977 - 1997, n.d.)
Transparencies, photonegatives, and photoprints (542) document the functions of the Parks Department from 1997 – 1997, a period when a number of parks were being built in county precincts. The images record areas of the county prior to and during development along with park uses and activities. A number of the images are unidentified. Thirty-nine of the images are available through the Harris County Digital Archives http://archives.hcpl.net/ maintained by the Harris County Public Library. These photographic materials were discovered in a trash can any may have originally been created by the Engineering Department.
Harris County Commissioner Precinct 3 (CR34)
- Unprocessed Records, 1980 – 2003. Approximately 235 cubic feet of unprocessed records including Bond Records, Flood Control, Subject Files, Parks, Hospital District, Maps, Plats, Road and Bridge, Redistricting, and Water Quality Reports document the functions of Precinct 3 in Harris County during the terms of Commissioners Bob Eckels (1973– 1988) and Steve Radack (1989 to present). The General Subject Files are a particularly rich resource of county information.
- Commissioner Bob Y. Eckels (1973 - 1988)
Eleven scrapbooks, photographs, and audio video tapes document the political career and interests of Bob Y. Eckels 1935-1988. Of particular interest is a scrapbook from 1935 concerning the Houston Flood.
Harris County Commissioner Precinct 4 (CR35)
- Mercer Arboretum and Botanical Gardens Collection
Newsletters, brochures, manuals, land surveys, guidebooks, and nonprofit affiliate records document the functions and fundraising events relating to the Mercer Arboretum and Botanical Gardens. (1979-1999) .25 cubic feet.
Harris County Historical Commission (CR56)
- Administrative Records (1958-2008), Historical Marker Files (1962-2007), Printed Materials (1966-2005), Serials and Monographs (1842-2006), Photographs (1974-2004), Works of Art (1978-1991), Maps (1900, 1970), Videos (1986-2005), and Artifacts (1973-1975) document the activities and interests of the Harris County Historical Commission.
- Catalog of monographs and serials.
Harris County Hospital District (CR28)
- Media files consisting of scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, photographs, and video tapes, document the history of the Harris County Hospital District and public health issues from 1938 through 1998.